IFMBE is the leading global scientific society organization for engineering in medicine and biology, federating national and transnational societies of biomedical and clinical engineers (BMEs). The IFMBE HTAD is the IFMBE Unit aiming to support BMEs interested in HTA.
The IFMBE HTAD mission is to work proactively in collaboration with other scientific societies and agencies, in order to increase the HTA culture among BMEs, while increasing and promoting the BME culture among other HTA actors and stakeholders.
Our mission is based on three main enabling values that give to BME a unique position to contribute to the world knowledge in HTA field:
- BME unique know-how in the field of healthcare technology and particularly in medical devices research, development, assessment, acquisition and management
- BME multidisciplinary training and role: differently from other involved in HTA, BMEs are trained to have a proactive role in all the life cycle of medical devices (research, development, assessment, acquisition and management).
- BME multidisciplinary training and education: engineering, ICT, medicine, biology etc.
HTA is gaining importance in BME community as BME is gaining importance in HTA field. For instance, BME community is giving growing space to HTA in BME education, publications and profession. On the other side, BME contribution in HTA is fast growing.
The HTAD strategy for 2015/2018 is articulate in 4 main action areas:
- Training: aiming to develop specific training events, contents and containers on HTA written from BMEs to BMEs
- Research: reinforce HTA research across BMEs
- Publication: create new spaces to publish BME outcomes on HTA in conferences or journals.
- Events: organize specific events to promote collaborations between IFMBE, other Scientific Societies interested in HTA, Policy Makers, and HTA stakeholders.
Across those main action areas, the HTAD has identified 12 priority projects:
- HTA didactic contents for BMEs: development and diffusion of HTA didactic contents for BMEs
- HTAD web portal and an eLearning Platform: design and development of a web portal and an eLearning Platform to diffuse HTA and promote IFMBE HTAD activities
- IFMBE Summer School on HTA: organize the IFMBE Summer School on HTA, which will be organized in different Nations every 2 years
- Mobility and International Collaboration: support student/young researchers’ mobility to seed new researches and organization of writing sessions for future grants on collaborative actions on HTA
- IFMBE HTAD Journal on HTA: we are launching a new journal more receptive to HTA methods, tools and case studies of huge significance to BMEs, the Journal of Clinical Engineering and Health Technology Assessment – CEHTA [in collaboration with IFMBE CED]
- IFMBE HTA Awards: aiming to recognize emerging BME talents in HTA, policy and outstating contributions to the promotion of BME field and profession.
- HTA Strategic Communication: aiming to reinforce HTA related communication and sincere exchanges with other scientific societies and agencies
- Guidelines and studies: this project aims to promote studies on early HTA (pre-market HTA studies) studies on HTA for medical devices and the development of IFMBE guidelines for Medical Device assessment
- Capacity building in LMICs: HTA-related capacity building in the African region and Alignment of developing country-focus activities on HTA within IFMBE (and IUPESM)
- Continuous monitoring on BME in HTA: survey to monitor BME involvement in HTA
- Promote HTA in IFMBE Conference
- Reinforce the collaboration between IFMBE and WHO in regard to HTA.